Last year I watched a documentary about minimalism. Ever since I’ve been fascinated with the topic. Something about living a more simpler life sounds so amazing. Imagine you won’t have to spend the entire day cleaning and wake up to an immaculate home. Sounds like a dream come true to me.
Those of you who love fashion and styling just like me, here are a few ways I like to keep my closet as minimal as I possibly can.
- Just buy what you need. Having a closet full of 8 v-neck black shirts is unnecessary. If you prefer a black v-neck, get a really good one that will last you through the season.
- Know your style. I talk a lot about personal style here, but knowing your personal style will take you a long way when building a wardrobe. For example, I prefer a more basic color palette, so when I come across that neon green cardigan, I know it won’t work in my closet and therefore I need not buy it. No matter how cute it may be.
- Stick to basics. Basics will bring you a long way. Now, if you have to have that neon green cardigan, you could buy it because your basics will make a great backdrop to this cardigan.
- Don’t keep up with the Joneses. This is what minimalism is all about. Not being sucked into consumerism. You can have everything you need to style an outfit but not go overboard. You don’t need those Gucci slides in the summer just because everyone has them, the black sandals you already have are just as cute.
- Discard often. I like to get rid of things very often, simply because I shop a lot. It’s the one in one out principle of minimalism.
Overall, if you want to live a minimalist lifestyle you can, but you may just put your joy into your closet. Which is fine because you can do minimalism your way.